Saturday, November 8, 2014

A time for memories


 My brother and his teenage daughters came to visit for the weekend.  Because I live so close to Washington, DC he wanted to head up there and see the sites with his girls.  A day of sunny blue skies and crisp fall air lead the way for our travels.
Our first stop was Arlington Cemetery to see our dads headstone.  Sticking with tradition we placed our stones of remembrance on top....although I bring seashells, rule breaker that I am.  The whole of Arlington was at peace and felt like the resting place it needed to be for those who fought for our freedom. Dad rest under the large tree above.  The light shining through it seemed to set it aglow. Memories flowed around us all.  Today was the 18th anniversary of our moms death as well.  With my hand on the headstone I addressed mom and dad both and encouraged them to be kind to one another.


We watched wreath laying and the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier and were surrounded by veterans who were celebrated and honored. I could almost feel the living and the dead standing side by side in this venue and again...it was full of peace.

We also visited the Holocaust Museum.  No pictures are allowed and I wouldn't want to take any there.  This was such a contrast to the peacefulness of Arlington.  It felt as if the departed refused to rest as long as their story could be told.  The faces of those who were callously murdered stared out at the visitors and both were silenced by the deeds done.  It was the end of our day and it cast a somber note and reminded us that our life is precious.  As a family, we walked to the Metro in the dimming light and let those we had been reminded of throughout the day rest easy in our minds. 

2 comments:

  1. Sad but beautiful contrast between the two memorials.
    My grandparents are buried in Arlington.
    I would like to see it one day.
    The national cemetery here in Jacksonville is always, always peaceful.
    Do you participate in the Wreath's Across America program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you and how you are able to express these deep things. I hardly know how to tell you what the post means to me. Your "stones of remembrance" tradition resonates with me and I would find doing the same meaningful, but we will sprinkle my Mom's ashes in the mountains of Montana this summer as it is what she wanted, but it's so far away from me. How will I implement 'stones of remembrance'? She has been on my mind a lot recently.

    ReplyDelete