Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thankful

As usual, I was behind the chair for 8 hours today doing hair.  I had great clients from start to finish and lots of laughs along the way.  I have had many people actually say to me..."You really don't work do you?"  Well, I actually do...or at least my aching feet say I do at the end of a long day.  But I understand what they mean when they say this.  I am not really confined by a definitive set of rules outlined by an overbearing boss or corporation.  I set my own hours, I listen to my clients needs and wants, try to meet them and generally have great conversations along the way.  I work in a salon my husband built for me within our home so I have no commute and I get to go to the bathroom on my own toilet when the need arises during the day.

Working for myself has gone exceptionally well once I set boundaries for myself and my clients.  I had to make specific hours and stick with them.  I had to stay within a certain number of clients so that I could take care of all the ones I have had for years.  The one aspect I love the most about not working for a corporation is the leeway I have when it comes to money.  When times have been lean or clients haven't had the wherewithal to pay, I have been able to do the work and either release them from the debt or postpone the payment to a later date.

I have seen so many woman walk into my shop feeling down and undone with a bad hair day.  Color overdue or a cut that is driving them crazy.  Only to see them skip out the door an hour or two later with a fresh "do" that has made their life better.  To be able to give that gift is a great feeling.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not behind the chair for my health - I need to make money for my household.  But occasionally I get the opportunity to send a gift certificate to someone I know that is strapped financially and can't make an appointment with me or to make sure a mom feels better about herself from a simple haircut.

I am not trying to toot my own horn, but on the eve of Thanksgiving, I have to say that I am grateful to work in a job that allows me to give to others.  And in the end, isn't that what it's all about? 

Community and giving.

And me, being thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment